Tuesday, October 2, 2012

Life is strangely wonderful

     Things have been falling into place for me as of late. I finally figured out what I want to do with a major in psychology, realized that I picked the perfect school, and that I have some amazing people coming and going in my life.
     To start with the first item on the list, I have finally decided what I want to do with a major in psychology. I have decided that I want to get my PhD in clinical psychology with a specialty in Post-Traumatic Stress Disorder and use that to work with patients suffering from this debilitating disorder. It is such an amazing feeling, knowing what I want to do with the rest of my life. It is definitely going to be a difficult thing to accomplish, but I have set my mind to it, and have decided that I am going to chase my dream until I trap it in a corner and make it reality!
     I have chosen the perfect school to help set me on my way to achieving my dream. My psychology professor has already achieved my dream. He doesn't have a specialty in PTSD, but he does have a PhD and his own clinic. He has even told me that he would be willing to help me along on my way to graduate school, and answer any questions I may have. He is also allowing his students to be involved in research, which will look FANTASTIC on my application to graduate school!!! Then there's the psychology club. It's fun to get involved with people with similar goals and interests to my own. In the short month that school has been going, I have made several friends.
     The last thing on the list, which also happens to be the most important, is the amazing people that have come and gone and who are still very much a part of my life.I truly have been influenced by some amazing people.
     Yesterday would have been the 70th birthday of my grandma. She passed away from multiple myeloma, (this weird type of cancer that I can't even really describe) two years ago next week. She played a very big part in my life. She was someone that I could call at any given moment and tell her whatever was happening in my life and she would patiently listen without interrupting. Afterwards, she would provide amazing advice that always impacted my life. After grandpa died, she was devastated. She never truly got over it. Life went back to almost-normal and she continued to be part of our lives. Something that changed, however, was every time we had family get-together/sleepovers, she and I would share a bed. After a while, it went without saying that wherever she slept, I would be there as well. When bedtime came around, we would stay awake and talk, sometimes for hours. She used to jokingly say that there was a little man between us that would keep us up and talking. There's not a day that goes by that I don't think of her in one way or another. She is one of the greatest people I have ever known.
     Another fantastic person that has moved on is my great-grandpa. He passed away almost two months ago. What an amazing man. My favorite memory of him is that when we visited, as we hugged him hello and goodbye, he would always tell us how special we were to him. I can still hear his voice saying "What a bunch of special kids." I hope the ability to hear his voice say that NEVER goes away. Another thing he always said that was inspiring, "Working for a living is no disgrace, but what a hell of an inconvenience!" What a fantastic man who will never be forgotten. He was ten days shy of his ninety-first birthday. I miss him.
     I have amazing people in my life that are alive as well. My family, every last member of varying insanity ;) has affected me in one way or another. They are all very important to me. They are part of who I am and that will never change. There are also friends in my life that are so dear to me that I consider them adopted family.They are an important part of my support system that I feel as though I don't thank enough.
     All in all, life is good. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment